[Homeroast] Pruning an indoor coffee plant

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 18:59:06 CDT 2011

I need to transplant into bigger pots. What's a good mix? I heard a
little on the sandy side.  Mine came in a small pot with a cluster of
plants together too. I kept 3 that still fit in 1 south facing window
for the winter. A friend adopted an extra. We have had such screwy and
stormy weather this summer I've kept. them in much of the time.  I
don't push them to grow fast because soon only 2 will fit in the
winter window :(  They are 4+ years old and only about 2 1/2 ft tall.
Coffee leaves are really beautiful, looking forward to their first
flowers.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee
<sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul - can you send some pictures of your plants? Or put them on the
> forum? Let me know...
>
>>> Usually when they sell arabica, it is multiple plants. So thats why I
>>> believe you have multiple trunks. Robusta is not multi trunked -nor is any
>>> coffee plant really, unless badly grown.
>>
>> Hmmmm... I found several references to the fact that Robusta has multiple
>> stems like a bush.  Arabica was depicted as a tree.  So I may indeed have
>> Arabica?  That would explain why they flower and bear fruit with (assumably)
>> no other coffee plants around.  Unless they are boyfriend/girlfriend......
>>
>>> They love to be hacked back, but to the point they can recover. Don't cut
>>> them too low to the soil. Maybe to 18", leaving some leaf and secondary
>>> branch
>>
>> That's the problem... there are no secondary branches low to the soil.  I
>> was thinking of leaving one stalk untouched and cutting the others back,
>> then the next year cutting the remaining stalk.... kinda like the bending
>> over technique I saw on the net.  Will they send out new growth from old
>> nodes that no longer have living branches?
>>
>>> On a farm they start right after harvest, and that would be as the plant
>>> heads into a more dormant season. Not sure why they do that...
>>
>> I saw references to pruning before the buds were set, which happens in the
>> spring.... I think.  But these are indoor/outdoor plants that might not be
>> on the same schedule as farm plants.
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> Paul Goelz
>> Rochester Hills, Michigan USA