[Homeroast] Pruning an indoor coffee plant

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Tue Sep 6 19:35:06 CDT 2011

>Usually when they sell arabica, it is multiple plants. So thats why
>I believe you have multiple trunks. Robusta is not multi trunked
>-nor is any coffee plant really, unless badly grown.

Hmmmm... I found several references to the fact that Robusta has
multiple stems like a bush.  Arabica was depicted as a tree.  So I
may indeed have Arabica?  That would explain why they flower and bear
fruit with (assumably) no other coffee plants around.  Unless they
are boyfriend/girlfriend......

>They love to be hacked back, but to the point they can recover.
>Don't cut them too low to the soil. Maybe to 18", leaving some leaf
>and secondary branch

That's the problem... there are no secondary branches low to the
soil.  I was thinking of leaving one stalk untouched and cutting the
others back, then the next year cutting the remaining stalk.... kinda
like the bending over technique I saw on the net.  Will they send out
new growth from old nodes that no longer have living branches?

>On a farm they start right after harvest, and that would be as the
>plant heads into a more dormant season. Not sure why they do that...

I saw references to pruning before the buds were set, which happens
in the spring.... I think.  But these are indoor/outdoor plants that
might not be on the same schedule as farm plants.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, Michigan USA
pgoelz at comcast.net