[Homeroast] Pruning an indoor coffee plant

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Tue Sep 6 19:02:02 CDT 2011

>I have two 10+ year old coffee plants (one is about 4' tall and the
>other is slightly shorter (it had a hard life as a youngster) that
>seriously need pruning and I need some input.  I have researched
>this on the net and have not found conclusive answers to the
>following questions.....
>
>1.  Do I have Arabica or Robusta plants?  They were sold to me as
>babies and were labeled Arabica.  But they have multiple "trunks"
>like the pictures of Robusta that I have seen.

Usually when they sell arabica, it is multiple plants. So thats why I
believe you have multiple trunks. Robusta is not multi trunked -nor
is any coffee plant really, unless badly grown.

>2.  How far back can I prune them?  Since they winter indoors in
>much reduced sunlight, they have thinned out near the center with
>more leaves at the tips and the trunks have gotten top heavy and are
>bending over.  I would like to cut them back severely and let them
>re-establish new trunks.

They love to be hacked back, but to the point they can recover. Don't
cut them too low to the soil. Maybe to 18", leaving some leaf and
secondary branch

>3.  WHEN should I prune them?  This question remains relatively
>unanswered per the net.  These are outdoor plants in the summer and
>they winter indoors.  Not sure if they ever become "dormant".

On a farm they start right after harvest, and that would be as the
plant heads into a more dormant season. Not sure why they do that...

>BTW, they both flower and produce cherries but they take so long to
>mature that they are still green by the time the plants move indoors
>for the winter.
>
>Paul
>

>Paul Goelz
>Rochester Hills, Michigan USA