[Homeroast] Pruning an indoor coffee plant

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Tue Sep 6 18:53:58 CDT 2011

I have two 10+ year old coffee plants (one is about 4' tall and the
other is slightly shorter (it had a hard life as a youngster) that
seriously need pruning and I need some input.  I have researched this
on the net and have not found conclusive answers to the following
questions.....

1.  Do I have Arabica or Robusta plants?  They were sold to me as
babies and were labeled Arabica.  But they have multiple "trunks"
like the pictures of Robusta that I have seen.

2.  How far back can I prune them?  Since they winter indoors in much
reduced sunlight, they have thinned out near the center with more
leaves at the tips and the trunks have gotten top heavy and are
bending over.  I would like to cut them back severely and let them
re-establish new trunks.

3.  WHEN should I prune them?  This question remains relatively
unanswered per the net.  These are outdoor plants in the summer and
they winter indoors.  Not sure if they ever become "dormant".

BTW, they both flower and produce cherries but they take so long to
mature that they are still green by the time the plants move indoors
for the winter.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, Michigan USA