[Homeroast] Making Cold Brew in a Parisian Cafe

Lynne Biziewski lynnebiz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:07:38 CDT 2011

Mike, I agree - yuck - but a cold brew is different. Sweet Maria's had a
page mentioning it when I put in my last order - it might be on the site if
you do a search.

The way I do it (mostly in the summer when we want iced coffee - or if I
have an almost ruined batch I don't want to waste!) is, using a  mason jar,
mix about 1/4 of the jar with ground homeroast, then fill to the top w/cold
water. Cover, shake every now & then, and let sit at least overnight -
sometimes longer. I like my coffee strong - and this, believe me, is
super-concentrated. You have to dilute it w/more water.

The general conclusion in previous discussions was that the subtle flavors
don't come through - but it *is* a great way to brew coffee that turns out a
bit bitter (like a messed up roast - but not totally messed up, speaking in
scientific terms, that is...).

You don't, by any means, need a super expensive impressive looking Blue
Bottle contraption.

Unless, of course, you're in Paris...

;-D

Lynne