[Homeroast] Monday's Cup

Barry Luterman lutermanb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 00:21:58 CDT 2011

Monsooned Bali is a bit different to roast than most beans. The bean is
large and has a high moisture content . Roast by weight rather than
by volume measurement.Use high heat in the beginning and extra heat after
first crack.
I used a Quest. Heat full on (gauge at 10 ) Pre-heat to 195 add 8 oz beans.
Fan on blue mark. It took 5 min to hit 150C. At that point the beans became
yellow (they started out almost white). First crack occurred at 8:30 min and
200 C temp.. Heat was never moved throughout the roast from full on. after
30 seconds into first crack the fan was turned to full on position. Second
crack began at 12:30 seconds after about 10 sec into second I dumped the
beans. I have to admit I was a bit nervous I usually only roast to the verge
of second. I worried about burning the beans but the resulting roast was far
from burnt. I guess the high moisture content protects from burning.
The resulting cup after 5 days rest was a very complex cup of coffee with
multiple changes in taste as the brew cools. The roast continues to get
better I am 9 days out and the taste is still complex and excellent. Don't
know if that helps, Edward, but I think you might want to think of roasting
darker rather than lighter for your next roast. Let me know how it comes
out.