[Homeroast] Chinese Coffee???

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Tue Nov 29 13:21:00 CST 2011

Bryan pretty much says it. You would hear about it a lot more if it
actually tasted good. Even with decent processing it is surprisingly
dull. Thai, Vietnam etc arabicas suffer the same issues. Theres a
company Doi Chang trying to push themselves but the samples have
suffered the same issues. Dull at best, but most often much much
worse due to poor processing. Compare that to a place that suffers
poor processing often, but when done right can be 88 points, or much,
much higher. I am thinking of Papua New Guinea as a great example of
this.

>Questions about coffee from China seem to pop up on the list about
>once every six months or so.  Coffee from China is generally of
>awful quality, hence why you've never seen Tom offer it.
>
>Sprudge just ran an blurb about Hogood coffee a couple days
>ago: http://sprudge.com/slightly-bitter-low-acerbity.html
>
>Bryan Wray
>Compass Coffee
>Bryan at CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

>Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:26 AM
>Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Chinese Coffee???
>
>Go to www.hanicoffee.com best chinese coffee available. Been doing
>it long before Starbucks showed up.
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
>On Nov 24, 2011, at 11:44 AM, "Bob Holland" <bobholland at att.net> wrote:
>
>>  Just opened an order for some computer stuff from New Egg and included in
>>  the box was a packet of coffee from China!
>>
>>  Having been a home roaster and SM customer for 15 yrs this was a real
>>  surprise.  It's called HOGOOD Coffee, 100% Arabica  and comes from the
>>  Yunnan province in China. I kinda hate to think how this is all processed.
>>  Maybe Starbucks is behind it!
>>  I was  wondering if Tom had ever encountered Chinese coffee in any of his
>>  cupping adventures?
>>
>>  Bob - Oregon

>>  Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820

-Tom