[Homeroast] Fwd: venting new roasts

Jeffrey Kelly jeffrey-kelly at att.net
Wed Nov 9 19:17:34 CST 2011

Welcome to the list.

I store my fresh roast in wide mouth quart mason jars too.  Something I have noticed: if I leave the lid off 24 hours before sealing I sometimes get much more pressure build up in subsequent days as compared to times when I seal after 3 or 4 hours.  Not what I would have predicted.

I vent the pressure each day by breifly opening the lid.  After 3 or 4 days the internal pressure stabilizes.  Plus by that time I am opening the jar daily to consume anyway.

-JD Kelly

Begin forwarded message: