[Homeroast] questions requesting answers from knowledgeable members

michael brown disracer at msn.com
Wed Nov 9 14:49:43 CST 2011

Excellent questions Malvene,The main variables you can control are the grind, dose (amount of coffee), and tamp pressure.I like to have 5-8seconds from the time i flip the lever til the first drop comes out. Then I like my extractions to be between 18-24 seconds (time starts when first drop comes out).  I like my total shot volume to be 2 ounces.  Adjust variables one at a time til I reach my desired shot volume with my timing parameters. I would adjust tamp pressure and dose before getting too carried away with the grind settings. That's not, of course, to say that dialing in on the grind isn't uber important.You will probably find that if you can land within those parameters your shot will probably "mouse tail" at the beginning or maybe all the way through.
As far as roasting goes. 10 min is fast for me.  I like to be at first crack at 10min then stretch out the time between 1st and 2nd, really lets the beans develop, as much as 5min between 1C and 2C depending on the bean.
All these things are just basic guidelines that I have found result in the better shots for me.  Use these if you wish as a starting point, then adjust and come up with what makes the better shot for you.  Have fun! Play with it!
Michael BB'ham, AL