[Homeroast] questions requesting answers from knowledgeable members

Barry Luterman lutermanb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 14:04:12 CST 2011

I sent that video as a way around using the large hopper on Mazzer
grinders. Also on a unique way of loading a portafilter. The rest of his
techniques could use improvement. You are right he tamps way too hard. The
trick with tamping seems to be having an even load and polishing the top of
the load. It is not necessary or desirable to press down very hard at all.
I find his frothing technique to need improvement as well. He should use a
thermometer and avoid the large bubbles he makes.
 Your other question 10 minutes for an entire roast seems a bit fast. Are
you beans darker on the outside than the inside? If so your roast is
definitely too fast. For 8 oz of beans (for most beans) I find 8 and one
half min to first crack and 11 and a half minutes to the verge of 2nd crack
to be a good working range. However , This does not work for all beans.
Time heat etc depend on ambient temp, mass of the bean and it's moisture
content.