[Homeroast] venting new roasts

j3r j at j3r.org
Wed Nov 9 08:52:03 CST 2011

Hi all, newbie here.

Since it seems we could use some new blood I will jump in. I have been
roasting for a few months now using a Caffe Rosto.

My question today is probably not one that makes all that much
difference, but I am interested.

After a roast, the beans vent CO2. I am wondering what effect packaging
of the newly roasted beans has on them. Right now I leave new roasts out
in a shallow bowl for a few hours then seal them into glass jars with
airtight lids. They are then kept in a completely dark drawer until it
is time to grind. When I do use them, they seem to have a lot of gas
left in them, the bloom is quite large and sometimes even overflows my
aeropress.

Am I doing this right? Does the CO2 make any difference in taste or
anything else? I usually try to rest the beans at least 2 days (unless I
am running low).

Glad to have so many experienced roasters here, I have many more
questions I'll let fly as time goes on :)

Thanks,

Jeremy