[Homeroast] OT: Yard Sale Espresso Machine Help Request

Robert Yoder robotyonder at hotmail.com
Tue May 31 02:38:30 CDT 2011

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.  I fully understand that your priorities take priority(!)

As a default retiree without a daily business to run, however, my situation is different.  Although I have no budget for it, I was retired by a little physical disability, so trouble-shooting and attempted ressurection of a machine is within the pale for me. Another thing is that I love to solve problems (not the national debt, or anything, but simple stuff that can fit on a bench).

So far, I have checked all the thermostats for resistance, the wiring, the water-level sensor, and the heater for resistance and isolation from the boiler-body.  I was told that it blew fuses, so I set up an independently-protected circuit with a Kill-A-Watt Meter, Plugged in with all switches off, let it sit for awhile, then hit On.  Right away the thing began to heat (IT'S FAST!).  I Checked Pump Operations quickly, and learned how sensitive the machine is to adequate water supply.  "Espresso" makes the pump run and it has gotten quieter as I've tested different functions. There is a cam on the Steam Valve Shaft that swiches on the Steam Circuit when the Valve is opened.  This cam is located on the shaft by a set-screw, which I found loose.  Maybe the cam was stuck in the Steam position and caused the heater to never turn off, causing the thing to overheat.  The Steam function now seems also to work.  I found it to be absolutely astonishingly filthy in the Shower Head, and I'm sure it needs a Gaggia Group Gasket and the gaskets for the steam wand. If anyone reading this has an idea where to find these, I'd love to hear it.  (Some of the Parts Places are saying, frankly, that they won't carry SAECO any longer, but my impression is that this thing is pretty solidly-built), so no clue as to any marketing issues which might've arisen earlier.

Right now it has some CleanCaf in its boiler.  Stuff coming out is quite remarkable (ugly), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  If it works, I will be happier than a pig in &*(*.

all the best, and,

Happy Roasting,

robert yoder

Happy Roasting