[Homeroast] OT: Yard Sale Espresso Machine Help Request

Robert Yoder robotyonder at hotmail.com
Sat May 28 23:00:10 CDT 2011

Greetings, Coffee-Folk,

I Found a distressed Espresso Machine and wonder if I can resurrect it.  I was told that it blew fuses.

The Machine is labeled Italian Espress Moka Supreme, apparently is made by SAECO and was also sold under many different labels, one of which was LaPavoni Euromatic.  It has a small brass boiler (similar to Miss Sylvia?) with three thermostats arranged in triangular pattern on top, and a portafilter in the 54mm Range.

I would love to learn about and restore this machine!  I have it uncovered and have drawn a wiring diagram.  There is a microswitch connected to the rotary Steam Valve which may assist in Steam Functions.

I'm starting to look through it, but realize that I may not have adequate information.  For example, there is one lead which starts black shrink-wrap at the pump, has a swollen node under the shrink wrap, and terminates at the main power switch.  I thought the swollen node was some kind of fuse, but discovered that it may be a Diode, because it conducts in only one direction. I know I know not.

Awhile ago, I seem to remember that someone had made some basic Espresso Machine Repairs and Knowledge available.  Can anyone here direct me to assistance in figuring out and firing up this machine?

Thanks to all, Happy Memorial Day, and,

Happy Roasting,

robert yoder