[Homeroast] Living On Caffeine

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Wed May 25 13:39:54 CDT 2011

One interesting line:

"Due to the extensive presence of caffeine in the environment, it is
not surprising that there are bacteria that can 'eat' this molecule
for growth and reproduction," he wrote....

The "extensive presence of caffeine" was surprising to me, so I looked
it up in Wikipedia:

"Caffeine is found in varying quantities in the seeds, leaves, and
fruit of some plants, where it acts as a natural pesticide that
paralyzes and kills certain insects feeding on the plants.[6] It is
most commonly consumed by humans in infusions extracted from the bean
of the coffee plant and the leaves of the tea bush, as well as from
various foods and drinks containing products derived from the kola
nut. Other sources include yerba maté, guarana berries, and the yaupon
holly."

Retrieved 05-25-11 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

Brian