[Homeroast] Downside of the Behmor Door Dance

Robert Yoder robotyonder at hotmail.com
Wed May 25 02:46:41 CDT 2011

Greetings,

It has taken so long, and still I'm pretty nowhere, in terms of roasting knowledge. (But the current nowhere is vastly better than the past nowheres, and so it goes).

Now I try to use the different Behmor Profiles (described as Procrustean) as ramps; P1 is full on, P2 is broken full-on, Ps  3, 4, and 5 are more gradual slopes of heat increase.  Having chosen a ramp, I then simply watch and listen. At first crack, I start opening and closing the door while watching the oven-temp gauge I put in the drum to be sure there is no BT drop.  I find that I must hold the door a bit open a substantial time, trying to postpone Second Crack.  When I can postpone C2 no longer, I hit cool and hold the door ajar in order to expedite cooling, using a kitchen towel to sort of catch any flying chaff.

Here's the thing:

Before I started this sort of messing-around with the Behmor, my house never smelled like roasting coffee (professional Range Hood immediately over roasting platform).  Now, it is something to deal with.  So I deal with it, and continue to learn this lovely stuff.

But in the meantime, anyone wishing to mess with the Behmor will have to deal with the functionality of the Afterburner.  When I let the roaster be itself, the afterburner did its job beautifully, but if we are going to try to slow down the roasts so quickly by opening the door, the afterburner can't really do its job.  If we try to stretch intercrack interval by lowering the heat electronically, the changes to the bean mass will be slower, but at least the afterburner will function.

Even with a quarter-pound batch, I can still stink up the neighborhood a little, for a bit, by doing the door dance.

FWIW,

Happy Roasting,

robert yoder