[Homeroast] OT but I am still alive after another close call

Claus Thøgersen thoeg at get2net.dk
Tue May 24 20:37:37 CDT 2011

So what can we learn from this story? Never ever miss your tuesday afternoon 

I am sure it is much more fun reading about it than trying it, lucklily I do 
not own a tractor!


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jim Gundlach" <pecanjim at bellsouth.net>
To: "homeroast list new" <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:28 AM
Subject: [Homeroast] OT but I am still alive after another close call

> Tuesday I was out moving earth with my 1962 Case 430 tractor to build a 
> pond.  In the process I had rather stupidly built a rather tall pile of 
> dirt that gave me a rather long view of the word around me and as I was 
> headed up that pile with a scoop of dirt, I drifted to the side and in 
> reaction I pushed the clutch in and the tractor rolled backward off the 
> edge of the pile of dirt and rolled over, landing top down.  During the 
> fall my head hit the fender hard enough to knock me out and cut a three 
> and half inch strip to my skull that had never before seen daylight.  When 
> I regained consciousness I found that I was pinned face down under the 
> tractor.  The tractor and the blade together weigh more than two tons.  I 
> was generally unable to move.  My glasses were covered with blood so I had 
> to scrape them off just by dragging my face agains the ground so I could 
> see.  My left arm was pinned under the rear fender and the upper portion 
> of my right arm was pinned down by the steerin
> g wheel.  My left leg was generally free but my right leg was pinned in 
> front of the gear shift lever and under the steering wheel which was 
> pushed down below the top of the shift lever.  I yelled for help a few 
> times but I knew I was out where there was less than one chance in a 
> hundred that anyone would be close enough to hear me.  I was able to reach 
> my left arm with the free part of my right and I slowly dug the dirt and 
> clay out from under my arm with my right fingers.  It took quite a while 
> but I got the left arm free and then turned to digging out the clay under 
> my upper right arm and after what seemed a very long time I managed to get 
> that arm free also.  I then turned to getting my right leg out of the 
> gearshift lever/steering wheel vice.  I found that I could not get my boot 
> to come out so I had to rearrange myself to be able to reach, untie, and 
> remove the boot.  I then rearranged myself till my nose almost reached my 
> right toes with a strait right leg.  Bending t
> hat much with a 67 year old body was tough but I did manage.  After I was 
> essentially free it took a while to figure out a route out from under the 
> tractor but I finally made it out by following the unpinned leg.  I walked 
> from the back to the front of our ten acre plot and got to the house.  I 
> called my wife and told her what happened and asked her to come and get 
> me.  After that I started to go into shock so I simply laid down on the 
> ground at the end of the porch and put my legs up the steps and waited 
> close to half an hour for her to get home.
> At the emergency room they x-rayed my skull and found the bones had held 
> up quite well.  After getting the cut cleaned up and stitched, I was able 
> to go ahead and come home.  And, on Tuesday I missed my early afternoon 
> coffee.
>      pecan jim
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) : 
> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820 

More information about the Homeroast mailing list