[Homeroast] OT but I am still alive after another close call

Andy Thomas adt0611 at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 14:04:01 CDT 2011

I'm glad you made through that ordeal without serious injury, Jim. By the way, 
this might be a good time to buy a lottery ticket.


From: Jim Gundlach <pecanjim at bellsouth.net>
To: homeroast list new <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
Sent: Mon, May 23, 2011 4:28:26 PM
Subject: [Homeroast] OT but I am still alive after another close call

Tuesday I was out moving earth with my 1962 Case 430 tractor to build a pond.  
In the process I had rather stupidly built a rather tall pile of dirt that gave 
me a rather long view of the word around me and as I was headed up that pile 
with a scoop of dirt, I drifted to the side and in reaction I pushed the clutch 
in and the tractor rolled backward off the edge of the pile of dirt and rolled 
over, landing top down.  During the fall my head hit the fender hard enough to 
knock me out and cut a three and half inch strip to my skull that had never 
before seen daylight.  When I regained consciousness I found that I was pinned 
face down under the tractor.  The tractor and the blade together weigh more than 
two tons.  I was generally unable to move.  My glasses were covered with blood 
so I had to scrape them off just by dragging my face agains the ground so I 
could see.  My left arm was pinned under the rear fender and the upper portion 
of my right arm was pinned down by the steering wheel.  My left leg was 
generally free but my right leg was pinned in front of the gear shift lever and 
under the steering wheel which was pushed down below the top of the shift 
lever.  I yelled for help a few times but I knew I was out where there was less 
than one chance in a hundred that anyone would be close enough to hear me.  I 
was able to reach my left arm with the free part of my right and I slowly dug 
the dirt and clay out from under my arm with my right fingers.  It took quite a 
while but I got the left arm free and then turned to digging out the clay under 
my upper right arm and after what seemed a very long time I managed to get that 
arm free also.  I then turned to getting my right leg out of the gearshift 
lever/steering wheel vice.  I found that I could not get my boot to come out so 
I had to rearrange myself to be able to reach, untie, and remove the boot.  I 
then rearranged myself till my nose almost reached my right toes with a strait 
right leg.  Bending that much with a 67 year old body was tough but I did 
manage.  After I was essentially free it took a while to figure out a route out 
from under the tractor but I finally made it out by following the unpinned leg.  
I walked from the back to the front of our ten acre plot and got to the house.  
I called my wife and told her what happened and asked her to come and get me.  
After that I started to go into shock so I simply laid down on the ground at the 
end of the porch and put my legs up the steps and waited close to half an hour 
for her to get home.  

At the emergency room they x-rayed my skull and found the bones had held up 
quite well.  After getting the cut cleaned up and stitched, I was able to go 
ahead and come home.  And, on Tuesday I missed my early afternoon coffee.

      pecan jim 
Homeroast mailing list
Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com

Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) : 

More information about the Homeroast mailing list