[Homeroast] OT but I am still alive after another close call

Peter Louton peter at midwestbicycleworks.com
Tue May 24 13:53:45 CDT 2011

Hi Jim,

I'll make your afternoon coffee and or espresso if you'll dig my pond for me.

Peter

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On May 24, 2011 14:49, mvivit at xmission.com <mvivit at xmission.com> wrote:

Wow, Jim! Quit trying to move faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Seriously, thank goodness things have turned out for the better.

Mary in Utah

Quoting g paris p <pchforever at gmail.com>:

> My god Jim:

> thank god your alright. love to you and family. I will come over and take

> that 430

> off your hands so you don't continue to get into trouble.

> ginny

> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Bob Glasscock

> <eglasscock at centurytel.net>wrote:

>> Hey Jim,

>> Very sorry to hear about your accident but very happy to hear you came out

>> of it with your skin. Very scary situation. Hope you are able to roast and

>> enjoy your coffee.  --

>>  Bob Glasscock

>> Greenville, AL

>> Quoting Jim Gundlach <pecanjim at bellsouth.net>:

>>> Tuesday I was out moving earth with my 1962 Case 430 tractor to build a

>>> pond. In the process I had rather stupidly built a rather tall pile of dirt

>>> that gave

>>> me a rather long view of the word around me and as I was headed up that

>>> pile

>>> with a scoop of dirt, I drifted to the side and in reaction I pushed the

>>> clutch

>>> in and the tractor rolled backward off the edge of the pile of dirt and

>>> rolled

>>> over, landing top down.  During the fall my head hit the fender hard

>>> enough to

>>> knock me out and cut a three and half inch strip to my skull that had

>>> never

>>> before seen daylight.  When I regained consciousness I found that I was

>>> pinned

>>> face down under the tractor.  The tractor and the blade together weigh

>>> more than

>>> two tons.  I was generally unable to move.  My glasses were covered with

>>> blood

>>> so I had to scrape them off just by dragging my face agains the ground so

>>> I

>>> could see.  My left arm was pinned under the rear fender and the upper

>>> portion

>>> of my right arm was pinned down by the steering wheel.  My left leg was

>>> generally free but my right leg was pinned in front of the gear shift

>>> lever and

>>> under the steering wheel which was pushed down below the top of the shift

>>> lever.  I yelled for help a few times but I knew I was out where there was

>>> less than

>>> one chance in a hundred that anyone would be close enough to hear me.  I

>>> was

>>> able to reach my left arm with the free part of my right and I slowly dug

>>> the

>>> dirt and clay out from under my arm with my right fingers.  It took quite

>>> a

>>> while but I got the left arm free and then turned to digging out the clay

>>> under

>>> my upper right arm and after what seemed a very long time I managed to get

>>> that

>>> arm free also.  I then turned to getting my right leg out of the gearshift

>>> lever/steering wheel vice.  I found that I could not get my boot to come

>>> out so

>>> I had to rearrange myself to be able to reach, untie, and remove the boot.

>>> then rearranged myself till my nose almost reached my right toes with a

>>> strait

>>> right leg.  Bending that much with a 67 year old body was tough but I did

>>> manage.  After

>>> I was essentially free it took a while to figure out a route out from

>>> under the

>>> tractor but I finally made it out by following the unpinned leg.  I walked

>>> from

>>> the back to the front of our ten acre plot and got to the house.  I called

>>> my

>>> wife and told her what happened and asked her to come and get me.  After

>>> that I

>>> started to go into shock so I simply laid down on the ground at the end of

>>> the

>>> porch and put my legs up the steps and waited close to half an hour for

>>> her to

>>> get home.

>>> At the emergency room they x-rayed my skull and found the bones had held

>>> up

>>> quite well.  After getting the cut cleaned up and stitched, I was able to

>>> go

Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com