[Homeroast] OT but I am still alive after another close call

Bob Hazen peatmonster at comcast.net
Mon May 23 22:03:42 CDT 2011

Yikes! Jim....  You're sure made of some tough stuff aren't ya?


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jim Gundlach" <pecanjim at bellsouth.net>
To: "homeroast list new" <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 4:28 PM
Subject: [Homeroast] OT but I am still alive after another close call

> Tuesday I was out moving earth with my 1962 Case 430 tractor to build a 
> pond.  In the process I had rather stupidly built a rather tall pile of 
> dirt that gave me a rather long view of the word around me and as I was 
> headed up that pile with a scoop of dirt, I drifted to the side and in 
> reaction I pushed the clutch in and the tractor rolled backward off the 
> edge of the pile of dirt and rolled over, landing top down.  During the 
> fall my head hit the fender hard enough to knock me out and cut a three 
> and half inch strip to my skull that had never before seen daylight.  When 
> I regained consciousness I found that I was pinned face down under the 
> tractor.  The tractor and the blade together weigh more than two tons.  I 
> was generally unable to move.  My glasses were covered with blood so I had 
> to scrape them off just by dragging my face agains the ground so I could 
> see.  My left arm was pinned under the rear fender and the upper portion 
> of my right arm was pinned down by the steering wheel.  My left leg was 
> generally free but my right leg was pinned in front of the gear shift 
> lever and under the steering wheel which was pushed down below the top of 
> the shift lever.  I yelled for help a few times but I knew I was out where 
> there was less than one chance in a hundred that anyone would be close 
> enough to hear me.  I was able to reach my left arm with the free part of 
> my right and I slowly dug the dirt and clay out from under my arm with my 
> right fingers.  It took quite a while but I got the left arm free and then 
> turned to digging out the clay under my upper right arm and after what 
> seemed a very long time I managed to get that arm free also.  I then 
> turned to getting my right leg out of the gearshift lever/steering wheel 
> vice.  I found that I could not get my boot to come out so I had to 
> rearrange myself to be able to reach, untie, and remove the boot.  I then 
> rearranged myself till my nose almost reached my right toes with a strait 
> right leg.  Bending that much with a 67 year old body was tough but I did 
> manage.  After I was essentially free it took a while to figure out a 
> route out from under the tractor but I finally made it out by following 
> the unpinned leg.  I walked from the back to the front of our ten acre 
> plot and got to the house.  I called my wife and told her what happened 
> and asked her to come and get me.  After that I started to go into shock 
> so I simply laid down on the ground at the end of the porch and put my 
> legs up the steps and waited close to half an hour for her to get home.
> At the emergency room they x-rayed my skull and found the bones had held 
> up quite well.  After getting the cut cleaned up and stitched, I was able 
> to go ahead and come home.  And, on Tuesday I missed my early afternoon 
> coffee.
>      pecan jim

More information about the Homeroast mailing list