[Homeroast] OT but I am still alive after another close call

Bob Glasscock eglasscock at centurytel.net
Mon May 23 21:49:51 CDT 2011

Hey Jim,
Very sorry to hear about your accident but very happy to hear you came 
out of it with your skin. Very scary situation. Hope you are able to 
roast and enjoy your coffee. 
  Bob Glasscock
Greenville, AL

Quoting Jim Gundlach <pecanjim at bellsouth.net>:
> Tuesday I was out moving earth with my 1962 Case 430 tractor to build 
> a pond. In the process I had rather stupidly built a rather tall pile 
> of dirt that gave
> me a rather long view of the word around me and as I was headed up that pile
> with a scoop of dirt, I drifted to the side and in reaction I pushed 
> the clutch
> in and the tractor rolled backward off the edge of the pile of dirt 
> and rolled
> over, landing top down.  During the fall my head hit the fender hard 
> enough to
> knock me out and cut a three and half inch strip to my skull that had never
> before seen daylight.  When I regained consciousness I found that I 
> was pinned
> face down under the tractor.  The tractor and the blade together 
> weigh more than
> two tons.  I was generally unable to move.  My glasses were covered 
> with blood
> so I had to scrape them off just by dragging my face agains the ground so I
> could see.  My left arm was pinned under the rear fender and the 
> upper portion
> of my right arm was pinned down by the steering wheel.  My left leg was
> generally free but my right leg was pinned in front of the gear shift 
> lever and
> under the steering wheel which was pushed down below the top of the 
> shift lever. 
>  I yelled for help a few times but I knew I was out where there was less than
> one chance in a hundred that anyone would be close enough to hear me.  I was
> able to reach my left arm with the free part of my right and I slowly dug the
> dirt and clay out from under my arm with my right fingers.  It took quite a
> while but I got the left arm free and then turned to digging out the 
> clay under
> my upper right arm and after what seemed a very long time I managed 
> to get that
> arm free also.  I then turned to getting my right leg out of the gearshift
> lever/steering wheel vice.  I found that I could not get my boot to 
> come out so
> I had to rearrange myself to be able to reach, untie, and remove the boot.  I
> then rearranged myself till my nose almost reached my right toes with 
> a strait
> right leg.  Bending that much with a 67 year old body was tough but I did
> manage.  After
> I was essentially free it took a while to figure out a route out from 
> under the
> tractor but I finally made it out by following the unpinned leg.  I 
> walked from
> the back to the front of our ten acre plot and got to the house.  I called my
> wife and told her what happened and asked her to come and get me.  
> After that I
> started to go into shock so I simply laid down on the ground at the 
> end of the
> porch and put my legs up the steps and waited close to half an hour 
> for her to
> get home. 
> At the emergency room they x-rayed my skull and found the bones had held up
> quite well.  After getting the cut cleaned up and stitched, I was able to go
> ahead and come home.  And, on Tuesday I missed my early afternoon coffee. 
>       pecan jim
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820

More information about the Homeroast mailing list