[Homeroast] Roasted Coffee Storage

Paul Jolly pauljolly65 at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 20:51:17 CDT 2011

David,

I've been storing roasted coffee in Mason jars in the freezer for the last two years, after reading another roaster's comments on H-B about the same.  Following his instructions, I let the jars sit on the counter with the tops loose for 24 hours, then screw the tops on tightly and put them in the freezer.  I pull coffee out of the freezer at least 24 hours before I'll need it & loosen the top so it can finish offgassing.

Coffee stored in this manner has stayed very good or great for up to four weeks.  One thing I've noticed, however, is that the thawed beans don't stay good for much more than 5 days or so before rancid flavors begin to emerge.  Thus, I've been freezing in pint-sized Mason jars (about a four-day supply for me).

Cheers,
Paul

Message: 1