[Homeroast] The Behmor Divide

ricky carter rickylc99 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 14:54:39 CDT 2011

I agree Ed, but now i've jumped back over the divide from the Behmor to the
Quest.

And here's something I've noticed for the first time this week as I'm
cleaning out the end of last years Kenyans.  They all seem to hit 1st crack
at very low temps, comparatively speaking.  Where most of my stock will hit
1st crack at approx 199C to 201C, these have been hitting 1st at approx 194C
to 196C.

This brings up a couple of questions.

First,  is the lower 1st crack temp due to the age of the beans (some
pushing 12 months stored in the original SM bag), or just the unique
character of Kenyans (I don't seem to have noticed this behaviour when the
beans were "fresher")

Second, how to proceed with the finish of the roast, time and temp from end
of 1st (the approach that I have been using, results are just ok) or run on
up to normal finish temps irregardless of where 1st started?