[Homeroast] My new Behmor

Greg Hammond greg.hammond at mac.com
Thu May 5 08:21:48 CDT 2011

I think what Cherry was suggesting was to use the different batch size setting for different control over the length of the selected profile. Many do that with the Behmor. I do it on occasion, but only with certain beans, and typically what I will do is a 12oz batch at the 16oz setting or a 6oz batch at the half pound setting.

FWIW, I have found that batch size matters in my Behmor. Control over an 8 oz batch is more precise because there is less mass to adjust for.

But I have found that the right profile, and looking for the opportunity to stretch the right plateau of tha profile is still the best way.

I also routinely split my roast batch into 2 or 3 sub-batches and roast at different time/profile settings. Then I re-combine the beans. When I blend different SOs into a blend, I split each SO into sub-batches, roast at different profiles, and then recombine them in whatever percentages my blend specifies. I also usually create one small combo of the green beans and do a roast of them together and recombine that as well with the individually roasted SO batches. I have found that roasting different beans together also seems to heva an impac on the outcome. Even at the same precise settings, same weights, and a fully re-set Behmor (unplugged and cooled for more than an hour), the beans roasted in a mixed combo are different than the beans roasted as an SO and then combined.

Cheers!