[Homeroast] A coffee story

Barry Luterman lutermanb at gmail.com
Wed May 4 10:53:19 CDT 2011

I had a Graduate student and hooked her and her husband on Home roasting. He
would get up early in the morning brew his home roast pour a cup to go and
take their daughter to Kindergarten. Suddenly, for three days in a row, my
Grad student started showing up late for clinic. She was never late before
let alone 3 times in a row. I called her in my office and asked her what was
wrong.
She asked me if I could suggest a family counselor. I asked if I could help.
She preceded to tell me her daughter was a problem. She refused to let her
father drive her to school and insisted her mother drive her. My student had
to drive her the last 3 days and as a result was late for clinic. She could
not understand the child's refusal to ride with her father. She went on to
explain that her daughter always had an excellent relationship with her
father but now would not respond to him. I asked her if she asked her
daughter why she suddenly did not want her father to drive her to school
anymore?

The next morning my student showed up on time with a bright smile on her
face. I asked her what happened. She told me I gave her great advice. She
asked the kid why she no longer wanted Daddy to drive her to school. She
replied, "My teacher said that you should never drink and drive and daddy
drinks when he drives me to school".