[Homeroast] thermometer with realtime output

john drake.john at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 30 09:08:20 CDT 2011

well, after looking around, i found the Extech 421509 which has a
bi-directional RS-232 port.  it seems like just what i was looking for
allowing me to interface the thermometer with my pc.  but, convenience
apparently comes with a price (tag)... $289.

so, i decided to go pseudo-old school.  i'm going to use the digital
thermometer Tom sells along with a small little program i've written that
displays target, ideal roast profile graphs while overlaying time,temp
points entered realtime (obtained visually from the thermo).  my thought is
that if i can see the roast profile progressing graphically, i can better
anticipate and make adjustments to the heat.  and, by using a digital
thermometer and having the pc graph it for me, i won't have to fuss over
counting grid lines on paper.

-john