[Homeroast] Silvia n00b: tips and tricks?

Mike Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 19:55:01 CDT 2011

The Silvia really needs to be fully warmed up and "temperature surfed"  to
get in the right temperature range.  The mechanical thermostat has a pretty
wide temperature range so if you are pulling your shot a while after the
last time it heated the boiler, you are going to be on the cold side.

It's been a few years since I've worked with my Silvia, but I remember
having pretty good luck with "reverse temperature surfing" (try a google
search), where you wait a certain amount of time after the heater turns
off.  I would grind and tamp my shot, while a stopwatch kept track of how
much time until I should pull my shot.  It did require a bit of patience,
which is why I put a PID controller on it after a while.

"Normal" temperature surfing involves pulling your shot a certain amount of
time after the heater comes on,  which is MUCH faster, but a bit less
consistent.

Let us know how you make out.

--mike