[Homeroast] Sour coffee taste

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Sun Mar 27 19:38:34 CDT 2011

How big was the batch? I don't think that is fast enough to give any
off flavors. Many of my sample roasts are in the same range, but they
are 100 gram batches too. Yours might be larger. Compare the whole
bean surface color to a ground sample, side buy side. If the surface
looks a lot darker than the interior then you might have
under-developed interior. But I have another suspicion: the coffee is
baggy. The reason is that Chiapas new crop would just barely be
shipping right now, and that would be lower grown coffees. If its
last years, was kept in jute, it's going to have little moisture
content, roast weird, and probably have baggy taste too. Hard to say
without seeing the green coffee. I could probably tell from a decent
macro image of 20-30 green beans

tom

>Hi all,
>
>I'd like to ask for some help/advice regarding a recent roast.  I
>picked up some green Mexican Chiapas from a local roaster and used
>it to christen my Quest (after a few batches of Tom's Thumbs Down.)
>I took the beans to FC - 8 min to 1st, 11 to finish.  The flavor is
>OK, but there is a sour taste on the finish.  Not the standard
>acidic bite on the front of the tongue, but rather in the back.  Is
>this simply a question of bean quality or can this sourness be
>caused by something in the roasting technique.  I brewed with both
>French press and manual drip with the same results so I don't
>believe the brewing method is the culprit.  Any ideas?
>
>Scot
>
>p.s.  Great listserv.  This group has really helped me improve my roasting.

-Tom