[Homeroast] Silvia n00b: tips and tricks?

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Sat Mar 26 18:07:49 CDT 2011

A sour shot can also be caused by too coarse a grind, too loose a tamp, an underfilled basket or a combination thereof.  Haven't used my Silvia much except when the LaCora is in the shop for its biennial tuneup (or when I've brought it and Rocky to parties), but I recall it likes to be slightly updosed.  You really, really have to dial your grinder into it, and be prepared to tweak during the day to allow for room humidity and bean age.  When mine is on, I manually top up the tank at least once during a session. Mark Prince has a video on CoffeeGeek.com called "Cheating Miss Silvia" that shows you how to prime the pump when you turn it on so that you can be ready to rock within 6 minutes. (I always give it 20).  I have to consult the notes I made every time I "take her out of mothballs."  I seem to recall that during the warmup process you draw off some water, then turn the steam switch on to accelerate heating, turning it off when it's time to pull a shot.  Google "Silvia temp surfing" for details about how to induce the boiler to fill and heat between shots and after frothing. Make sure you are NOT using distilled or demineralized water!