[Homeroast] Sour coffee taste

Scot Larson scot_larson at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 26 06:27:29 CDT 2011

Hi all,

I'd like to ask for some help/advice regarding a recent roast.  I picked up some green Mexican Chiapas from a local roaster and used it to christen my Quest (after a few batches of Tom's Thumbs Down.)  I took the beans to FC - 8 min to 1st, 11 to finish.  The flavor is OK, but there is a sour taste on the finish.  Not the standard acidic bite on the front of the tongue, but rather in the back.  Is this simply a question of bean quality or can this sourness be caused by something in the roasting technique.  I brewed with both French press and manual drip with the same results so I don't believe the brewing method is the culprit.  Any ideas?

Scot

p.s.  Great listserv.  This group has really helped me improve my roasting.