[Homeroast] More on the "Ps"

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 12:52:21 CDT 2011

I've done a couple hundred Behmor roasts now and have settled into a pretty
simple routine.

I used to vary the roast profile, load size, calculate P2 temp drops, but
now I mostly listen, watch, and smell and I think I get better results that
way.

P1 with 300 grams of beans works well for me, but the momentum still builds
up so that it can rush through first crack without cracking the door to slow
the roast down.  I've got a thermocouple to monitor the chamber temperature
to simulate a P2 drop but really I mostly listen to the cracks to make sure
they go at a good pace, not too fast and not too slow it stalls.

As Tom said, cooling the beans quickly (within four minutes) really helps
retain the sweet, fruity flavors, especially of a lighter city or city +
roast.

You could try P3 profile for espresso, but I mainly stick to P1.

-Chris

Pecked out on my mobile phone.