[Homeroast] More on the "Ps"

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Tue Mar 15 12:34:04 CDT 2011

For me it's really not about the heat curve you apply, especially at
first. It's about learning to observe the roast, know the sounds and
smell (and sight, if possible) of first crack, and know when to hit
the COOL button. On the Behmor, the roast "coasts" a bit after it
starts cool cycle, so you need to build that into your
determinations. Bascially I would be waiting until you suspect First
crack has ended, wait 10-20 seconds, and hit cool. Open the door, if
possible, for better cooling.

Anyway, I would really start with that, and the results should be
good, you shouldnt havce to waste any coffee!

Tom

>While I appreciate the input, as a beginner the info was much in the way of
>overload.
>
>I think the finesse that you all are putting into it isn't meant for one who
>hasn't topped 10 batches yet.
>
>I bought the book SM suggested and read it and read the manual and the tip
>sheets but sometimes I am just stymied by what to punch in..
>
>I will keep winging it I just hate wasting beans.
>
>Most end up well..but not all...and those end up unusable.
>
>Thanks for the advice and anymore to follow.
>
>Robert

-Tom