[Homeroast] City or City+ roast - on behmor

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 12:21:36 CDT 2011

Just a quick question on roasting to City/C+.  I'm using a Behmor in case it
matters.  Looking at Tom's notes on the website, it looks like City is about
the end of 1st crack, and 1st crack lasts about 90 seconds (plus/minus).  So
when you are aiming for a C/C+ roast, should you aim for stopping the roast
about 90 seconds after 1st crack when 1st crack ends, or should you be
aiming to draw it out longer to 3 minutes or so, if possible.

I ask because I was roasting a batch of Imbachi Colombian yesterday, and it
seemed like my 1st crack stopped about 90 seconds (as I was hoping), but I
wasn't sure if I should still be aiming for a 3 minute roasting time, like I
do when I go for FC style roasts.  The coffee was good this morning, but I
want to see if I can improve if I'm short changing myself.

Thanks,

Greg