[Homeroast] Behmor P1-P2

Greg Rothschild greg at gregrothschild.com
Sun Mar 13 13:15:50 CDT 2011

The theory behind P2 is it lengthens the time between first and second
crack. A lot of the flavor development takes place during this part of
the roast and the P1 profile (which is the same as P2 without the power
drop) tends to have first crack roll right into second with no/not
enough time between. So if that is all true you could just use P1 for
coffees that you want to stop at around City or City+ and use P2 for
roasts that you want to be darker.
P3 (P4 and 5 too) use a slower ramp up to high heat, which is supposed
to be good for softer beans like east Africans, Indos, Brazil, etc. I've
read so many differing opinions that I think it just comes down to
personal preference. The creator of the Behmor listed his preferences
like so:

P1-2.. all centrals, Peruvian and Colombians
P3... Brazilians, Africans, SE Asians, Malabar, Jamaican Blue Mtn and
Yauco Selecto
P4.. Kona and other low grown island coffees

Greg

http://www.gregrothschild.com