[Homeroast] Blue plastic on thermometer melts

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 03:41:57 CDT 2011

"...[with] the plastic melted off does it still read and pick up the
temp?"    Yes, better.

I watched the plastic sleeve start to melt and wither away long before it
got up to any useful roasting temperature. Its purpose must be to cause
folks to wonder "Why?" The thermocouple is absolutely independent of
anything but the junction between the Chromel and Alumel wires, so lose the
blue sleeve.

If the actual TIG-welded blob comes off at the end of the wires, you can
just cut and strip the two wires, twist them together and you have a brand
new junction. (Don't worry, your pet alligator will have caused other
problems before he bites the end off!) Very sensitive with nearly Zero mass
is the twisted junction. Propane torch is not hot enough to weld the wires,
but an oxy-mapp gas flame can do it if you set the flame to neutral, so as
not to poison the junction. Met 101.

Cheers -RayO, aka Opa!

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Joseph Robertson <theotherjo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Brian, This message is more for Tom and or his list manager, It appears as
> though the first 15 threads open but none below that.
>
> As to your melted blue end. Now that the plastic is melted off does it
> still
> read and pick up the temp?
> Joe
>

> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 1:17 PM, John A C Despres <johndespres at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > It looks like heat shrink to me... Did it melt into your beans at all? Or
> > just change shape and get a bit gooey?
> > John

> --
> Joseph Robertson
> Sasquatch Coffee Roasters
> Craft Coffee Roasting by Design
> joe at sasquatchcoffee.com <http://www.jolindas.com>
> http://www.jolindas.com
> (360)521-3104     PO Box 451 Stevenson,Washington 98648 USA

Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...