[Homeroast] Blue plastic on thermometer melts

Coffee coffee at onlykenssite.com
Sat Mar 12 16:30:14 CST 2011

Brian,

I actually think that the plastic is heat resistant for 'normal' temps
like boiling or whatever, but at the 400 degree plus stage, you get
'blue beans'.  (ok, all you folks get your minds out of the gutters) ;)

And yes, I carefully scraped the rest of the blue plastic off and
continued to use the TC.  Be sure not to cut into the insulation as you
clean it up.  You can get replacement K Type TCs at
http://www.omega.com/pptst/5TC.html and I use the 5TC-TT-K-30-36 with a
max temp of 500f for use in my iRoasts.  They work just fine, with no
melting. :)

Best Regards,
Ken B