[Homeroast] Blue plastic on thermometer melts

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Sat Mar 12 10:00:20 CST 2011

I am confused because all the thermocouples I have used from out
stock (quite a few) have bare ends and then woven fiberglass (or
frankly, I am not sure what the material is exactly) that has proved
very heat resistant. I don't remember seeing plastic on the sensor
end. Am I confused?

Tom

PS- Off to Guatemala in a couple hours so might not see replies for a bit.

>Hi,
>
>I tried to search for  this in "http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/". The
>search came up with threads, but the threads wouldn't open.
>
>A couple years ago I got a digital thermometer from SM, and used it
>for the first time today. The probe had a blue end about 3/4 inch
>long. I roast with a heatgun, and put the beans in a colander that I
>place in a stainless steel bowl. I threaded the blue plastic end of
>the sensor into the colander and roasted a pound of Jimma. When the
>roast ended the blue end was melted.
>
>What should I do next?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Brian