[Homeroast] Behmor and new temp probe

Greg gregro at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 3 18:06:17 CST 2011

Hi all-
I've been using a Behmor for about a year now. I mainly roast for
espresso and the technique I've settled into is to open the door once
first crack has been going for about 15 seconds. I keep the door open
for a short time, close it, open it again etc throughout first crack.
The goal is to stretch the time between cracks because, according to an
article I read, that is when the big flavor development is taking place
and if I don't open the door there's minimal time between cracks.
Basically I open the door to simulate the P2 profile.
So, tomorrow Fedex is delivering a meter and probe so I can know how
much heat is escaping when I open the door. What I want to know is...
how much should I be dropping them temp? And for how long? I realize the
precise numbers vary greatly depending on several factors (bean type,
desired roast level, etc.) but I would love to hear your suggestions.
Thanks!

--
Greg