[Homeroast] Why I Homeroast

Bob Hazen peatmonster at comcast.net
Sun Jun 19 12:16:26 CDT 2011

A confession:  I haven't been roasting for the last few weeks.  Due to the intensity of home and work responsibilities I just didn't take the time.  That, and a perceived notion of "sameness" in my roasts caused me to check out other beans.  It was a disaster.  The local guy with a Diedrich in his store >should< be good, right?  Pretty bland, but the beans were fresh at least.  That was the best I found in my search.  The low point?  I'd say it was a bag of beans sold by a well-known donut chain.  That they were whole-bean and not ground is about the best I can say about that experience.  They should stick with their core competency - donuts.

Having hit the very bottom, my roaster beckoned to me.  This morning I roasted some of SM's Sumatra Mandheling.  Good to get back into it.  With about, oh..., 5 minutes of rest on it the taste was spectacular!  I can't wait until a few days have gone by.  I'm back.  There's nothing like a dalliance into the mainstream to reset one's palate.  I remembered why I homeroast.

Bob