[Homeroast] Vacuum Pot Help!!

Peter Louton peter at midwestbicycleworks.com
Sat Jun 18 12:57:48 CDT 2011

Lap it up in a clean towel and then wring what you can into a cup.

Peter

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On Jun 18, 2011 13:33, Jim Gundlach <pecanjim at bellsouth.net> wrote:

If it is not worth crying over when spilled, it's not worth brewing and drinking.  That is the basics of a life worth living.

   pecan jim

On Jun 18, 2011, at 11:33 AM, Phil Palmintere wrote:

> I've always kept the top globe resting at an angle (unsealed).  Then, when

> the water is simmering in the bottom globe, I grind & then add the coffee to

> the top globe, press it down to seal, and the rest is like magic.

> So this morning I decided to try the alternate approach - letting water

> rise, then adding coffee.

> WHAT A MESS!  The coffee "bloomed" very, very fast.  So fast it rapidly

> bubbled over the top of the top globe, all over the stove.

> The good news is my wife is still asleep so she didn't see the mess before I

> cleaned it up.

> While it's no use crying over spilled milk, I reserve the right to cry a bit

> over spilled Costa Rica Hernan Solis Villa Sarchi.

> phil

>>> Doug,

>>> This says everything I have experienced and can say as well except I use

>>> Cona Rod. I just use a spatula to keep the rod down when the rise

>> finishes.

>>> I don't add grinds until water has fully risen.

>>> John H.

>>> certainly

>>> not water that's too cold (which tends to highlight sweetness,

>> actually).

>>> 'Bitter,' maybe, if the water's too hot or if you get drawdown delays,

>> but

>>> not 'sour.'

>>> The sour flavor you're getting is almost certainly from the cloth

>> filter.

>>> One way to confirm that would be to simply replace the one you're using

>>> with

>>> a new one and see if the flavors change.

>>> You should be able to brew at any grind level you like.  The flavor

>> changes

>>> you get from change of grind are more or less as you'd expect them

>> (muddy

>>> at

>>> Turkish, broader and rounder at coarse). You can and should be grinding

>> for

>>> flavor anyway, not as a means for correcting mechanical problems.

>>> Your drawdown times of 1-1/2 to 2 minutes are perfect, but I'd expect

>> that

>>> with the cloth filters, which behave quite consistently from pot to pot.

>>> I'm a devoted fan of the glass rod. I have the Yama 8-cup and Yama 5-cup

>>> pots, and I use a Cory rod (no longer manufactured and has to be bought

>>> used). The Cona rod can be made to work, but is simply not as effective.

>>> I've been making vacuum pot coffee with the glass rod filter every day

>> for

>>> nearly three years now, and I love it.  There is a little extra skill

>>> required to get the glass rod to work (it took me the better part of a

>> year

>>> to work it out!), but not much. Once mastered, you can brew any grind

>> level

>>> and roast level you like without restriction.

>>> If you go glass rod, you simply MUST add the 5-second burst of heat just

>>> before taking the pot off the heat. If you don't, you'll almost

>> certainly

>>> get inconsistent drawdown times and, potentially, stalls.  This is

>>> especially true if you're grinding coarse (30 on the Virtuoso is pretty

>>> coarse) and/or roasting dark.  But if you do apply the burst, you should

>>> have the same 1-1/2 to 2 minute drawdowns as you're already getting with

>>> the

>>> cloth filter.

>>> Final note: Like Bob (see above), I also replaced one piece without

>>> replacing the other, and discovered that the new match is a little

>>> problematic.  There now is a lot more drama as the water finishes rising

>>> into the funnel. The rod gets blown out of position, a condition that

>>> cherry

>>> complained about a few months back and that led her away from the Yamas

>>> the Cona tabletop.  To prevent this, I now have to be very careful to

>> have

>>> the heat way down low to finish the rise. It's otherwise not a biggie.

>> So

>>> the match between funnels and pots can be less than perfect from

>>> manufacturing lot to manufacturing lot.

>>> But even with the finickier replacement, I'm still totally rapt with the

>>> coffee I'm getting from this brewing method.

>>> Doug

>>> Pot

>> 8

>>> cup