[Homeroast] Vacuum Pot Help!!

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 00:12:54 CDT 2011

Hi John,

I wait until the water's finished rising, too.  To me, it makes much more
sense, and makes the whole procedure more controlled.

For one thing, the rise lasts for a variable amount of time. Sometimes it
goes very quickly, sometimes very slowly. It's hard to be precise about the
timings of the brew when the amount of time the grinds are exposed is
dependent on the rise.

For another thing, the temperature in the funnel is more constant once the
rise completes, so that's another factor that is better controlled.
Typically, the water temperature in the funnel at the start of the rise is
around 175F and only climbs to the desired 195-200F when all the water has
made it to the top.

I did find, before I started using the heat burst at the end to prevent
drawdown delays, that putting the grinds in the water after the rise seemed
to cause more delays.  But with the heat burst, that's not a problem in the
least.

YMMV, though, and there are plenty of vacpot users who still put the grinds
in the funnel before the rise.

Thanks for chiming in, John.
Doug