[Homeroast] what's happening with these beans?

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Sat Jul 30 11:18:27 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:59:25AM -0700, Kim Phipps wrote:
> A bit puzzled: I was roasting some Ethiopia Harar Longberry last
> night in my Nesco roaster.  Didn't load it too full, ambient room
> The strange part is, I never heard one single crack.  The machine is
> noisy, but I always hear at least *some* of the cracking.  I broke a
> few open, and they seem roasted all the way through.  Is it possible
> that some beans don't crack, or have a quieter crack?  Or did I just
> not let them roast long enough, in spite of the color and smoke

Like everyone has been saying, it varies.  I don't doubt that the
beans' moisture content matters, but I also know that different beans
that are sitting right next to each other in cloth bags (for half a
year!) in a pretty stable indoor environment can nonetheless have quite
different sound levels.

One of the most useful tricks I've learned about roasting with the
Nesco is to take advantage of something it makes visible that few if
any others do: the overall volume of the bean mass.  The notes in the
forum posting are a bit sketchy, the image is blurry, and it's all a
bit of an early, sloppy take, but apparently I haven't updated this:

http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=905#p4724

--
To be alive, is that not to be
again and again surprised?  -- Nicholas van Rijn