[Homeroast] wet grinding coffee

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 15:19:26 CDT 2011

The video I saw before vacation hinted at a new Marco Uber product, maybe
named the Bruber?

I've got a Kyocera and Aeropress on vacation, tempted to try this.

A lab wash bottle might make a good water feed, wet cutting/grinding isn't
uncommon for other materials, maybe there's synergistic products available.
Maybe the hot water pipe from espresso machine?

-Chris

Pecked out on my mobile phone.
On Jul 27, 2011 9:16 AM, "Robert Yoder" <robotyonder at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Ivan, IIRC, the presenter indicated that extraction times would be far
longer, since the risk of over-extraction of fines is reduced/eliminated. I
agree that preheating a blender and then using highest-reasonable
temperature water might give you something, but the temperature would drop
through the process. I think that a heated blender-type device exists
(Vitamix?), and that might help. Happy Experimenting, robert yoder
> > Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:45:46 -0400
>> From: scizen at gmail.com
>> To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> Subject: [Homeroast] wet grinding coffee
>>
>> The extraction does begin in the grinding; there's no way to avoid it.
The
>> water both dampens beans so they don't make as many fines, captures VOCs,
>> and lubricates the burrs. I had to kinda dowse the beans occasionally to
get
>> them to feed into the burrs. In small amounts, water acts like an
adhesive,
>> not a lubricant, so the burrs gum up. I used hot water, but of course it
>> cools down drastically and doesn't do a full extraction in the grinding.
The
>> final extraction takes place when you pour the slop/grind mix into
something
>> else (AP or FP, maybe even vac. pot or pour over). Again, my first foray
was
>> rather crude, but I think exploration here has merit, and the theory too.
>> How can we wet grind more efficiently?
>> BTW, someone asked about it with a Virtuoso. I have one, probably won't
try
>> it. Problem is the huge mess and cleanup of grind chamber. Plus, that's
>> electrical, and it seems like I was taught not to mix water and
electricity,
>> especially in devices not rated for that. I could be wrong.
>> Maybe just a plain old kitchen blender will work, then filter through
Swiss