[Homeroast] wet grinding coffee

sci scizen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:45:46 CDT 2011

The extraction does begin in the grinding; there's no way to avoid it. The
water both dampens beans so they don't make as many fines, captures VOCs,
and lubricates the burrs. I had to kinda dowse the beans occasionally to get
them to feed into the burrs. In small amounts, water acts like an adhesive,
not a lubricant, so the burrs gum up.  I used hot water, but of course it
cools down drastically and doesn't do a full extraction in the grinding. The
final extraction takes place when you pour the slop/grind mix into something
else (AP or FP, maybe even vac. pot or pour over). Again, my first foray was
rather crude, but I think exploration here has merit, and the theory too.
How can we wet grind more efficiently?
BTW, someone asked about it with a Virtuoso. I have one, probably won't try
it. Problem is the huge mess and cleanup of grind chamber. Plus, that's
electrical, and it seems like I was taught not to mix water and electricity,
especially in devices not rated for that. I could be wrong.
Maybe just a plain old kitchen blender will work, then filter through Swiss
gold. Will try, what's to lose.

Ivan