[Homeroast] Coffee Shrub care

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Tue Jul 26 14:38:21 CDT 2011

Unless my jet-lagged eyeballs are playing tricks on me, that is not
coffee you have planted there. I mean ... it's not coffea arabica.
It's not coffea canephora either. It's not a plant related to the
beverage...

Is it possible you have another shrub that uses a similar name, like
"coffeeberry"?
http://www.laspilitas.com/nature-of-california/plants/rhamnus-californica

Tom

>My five remaining little coffee shrubs are enduring the heat and
>drought and doing pretty well. Two are actually doing very well I
>think. I lost one early on, it was my fault during transplant.
>
>I remember seeing something in someone's signature line that
>indicated they are a horticulturalist. And, I believe, in the same
>zone as me.
>
>I'd really like input on how to start prepping them to survive the
>coming winter. It's a ways off even though we are eager for these
>90-100 days to go away, but I want to make sure I do what I can to
>keep these lovely shrubs viable. Do I prune lower branches or top
>now, closer to winter, or let them just grow another year?
>
>http://coffeeortech.wordpress.com/2011/07/23/how-does-my-coffee-garden-grow/
>
>-kc

-Tom