[Homeroast] Coffee Shrub care

mike at mjv.com mike at mjv.com
Tue Jul 26 14:14:06 CDT 2011

One of mine is in its second year of fruiting and the other is in
its first year. Second year there's definitely a LOT more fruit. I have
their containers outside where they get shade in the afternoon from the
pecan trees, but move them inside before frost. Currently this hot
summer they're enduring temps into the low 40's and would prefer it a
bit cooler but seem to be tolerating things well enough. I water them
and mist them daily. They're in 3 gallon containers tho and could use
potting up but so far they're happy enough - only 4' tall shrubs. During
the winter they'd be in the east picture window but this year will go in
my grow-room and hopefully next year will be planted in the ground in my
pit-greenhouse along with more of them.

Be well,
 Mike

On Mon, 25
Jul 2011 10:39:38 -0700, Phil Bergman wrote:

> Hi KC,
> I have A
nursery in Encinitas, CA and grow palms/cycads and other tropicals.

One of the things I've grown for years are coffee plants. In my
locality,
> coffee trees like filtered light, not full sun. They take
temperatures into
> the low 30's. It takes me about 5 to 7 years to take
a seedling to a
> fruiting plant. I'd estimate each 15g plant I have is
about 7 feet tall and
> carries about 400 red cherry colored
fruit/seeds. When in blossom, the
> flowers are white. The foliage is a
glossy green and some have used coffee
> and an interior plant. Average
watering works and occasional fertilizer is

Message-----