[Homeroast] what's happening with these beans?

sci scizen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:11:10 CDT 2011

Kim,
I just roasted a batch of the Harar Longerry in my QM3 a couple of days ago.
I heard very few 1st cracks (maybe only 3 or 4 in a 225g batch), and the Q
is a very quiet machine. You can barely tell it is running (with no beans in
it). So, I'd say don't worry about that. You are correct to think that 1st
cracks vary.  Some beans have lively 1st crack phase, others are lame like
this one. As for the 24 minute roast time, try to get that down. I have
never used that machine, but plenty of others can give advice on it. One tip
may be to use it where the room temperature is higher.
Ivan