[Homeroast] what's happening with these beans?

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 01:59:04 CDT 2011

I received my 2-Fivers of Ethiopia Harar Longberry beans on 3 Jun. Having
too much fun with the last pound of CostaRica roast, espresso, pour-over and
Turkish brews to worry the exigencies of a new roast til now.

OK- here's the scoop. I string a 15-ft, 12-ga extension cord out through the
mail slot to the car port where I add two power strips to power the bread
machine, heat gun and the cooling blower is switched by the 2nd power strip.
I just roasted 1 pound of Ethiopia Harar Longberry 2:30 beyond the
completion of 1st Crack. There was no doubt about the onset of 1st Crack, or
its completion.

Actually, I was listening very closely since -Chris described it as "much
quieter than usual." I did hear what I would describe as a "preliminary" 1st
Crack. It started and completed within a minute, 2 minutes before The Real
1st Crack cut loose. I've never been listening that closely before, so never
noticed the very faint snaps. At least 20dB below the normal level of 2nd
Crack sound, which never developed.

I usually ease a little into 2nd Crack and slam on the brakes. Not this
time- 2:30 after the absolute last pop of 1st- it took about 20 sec to make
'em cold to the touch. Quite a warm day. Just cooled into the 80's when I
started roasting.

The deep drawn bread pan of the bread machine is a demi-parabola and aims
all the sound of the beans upward. That's where I am in relation to the
bread machine when I roast, so it's a good set-up. ++Chaff- Yes, ++Smoke-
Yes. Eyes still smarting. Maybe wear my chem goggles next time...

No question about the sound of 1st Crack and its completion. These are the
very same beans and they're not likely to be the problem unless you've
stored them in the dry heat in a cloth bag. That's the way to get rid of
moisture the beans had when they left SM.

With the warm weather, "ambient room temp was warm," as you said, probably
lots of new  electrical load in the form of air conditioners on the grid. I
just measured an unloaded circuit at 119.6vac at the high point. Normal
around here has always been 125vac.

Maybe that makes the heat gun run cooler. The beans don't know from cool- I
hold the HG closer. They're beautiful in the Mason jar.

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!
--
Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...