[Homeroast] Yemeni coffee beans.

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 12:46:34 CDT 2011

The processing/prep in Costa Rica is generally far better than in
Yemen. Some variability in the Yemen is ok and adds a little character
to the cup but a little culling pre and post roast can help. Tom has
info on defects on the site. Generally blackish(over-ripe) or really
light (unripes) or anything else a bit funky looking can be culled to
improve the cup.

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM, John M. Howison <johnmhowison at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I roast Costa Rican beans to one minute past the end of last
> "first crack" they are very uniformly  browned and to my taste produce
> a perfect brewed cup.  When I duplicate this treatment,
> roast-timewise, for Yemeni Mocha Sharasi,  the beans vary in color
> from slightly too-brown to yellow, and to get the best cup I must pick
> out and throw away up to a quarter of the beans.  Must those Yemeni
> beans be roasted a special way?  I do like an occasional Yemeni cup as
> a departure for those "too-perfect" Tarrazus.
> Contra muros, mater rubicolla

Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/