[Homeroast] Hot Rod Home Coffee Roasters: The Spirit of Invention, revisited And the elusive 1lber

Greg Hammond greg.hammond at mac.com
Sun Jul 17 12:53:17 CDT 2011

Ah, yes, where's the purity? Ed is right on one level (there is never enough "can do" to go around), but I tend to see the overall issue differently.  This sounds so much like the audio industry--"whatever happened to people willing to study and build their own tube amps?"—or cars (whatever happened to people who could change their own oil or actually work on their engine?).  I even read an editorial bewailing the loss of special status associate with being a Mac user now that Apple is a CE giant. Oh please.

And the beer brewing hobby? It used to be a joke. Now it is not. And the sophistication of the off-the-shelf offerings is a direct resut of commercialization of early individualized efforts and the explosion of the craft brew industry.

Part of what happened is that successive generations of both the market and the hobbyists have changed. I used to design and build audio equipment. Now I buy it. If I had to rely on people to keep doing what I did, well, there wouldn't be many choices. No market can survive long in pioneer mode alone. It needs to grow. And growth implies more ready-to-use solutions. So, yes, by all means, let's encourage the pioneer inventor/developer, but the reality is that market success is possible only when we eventually get past that as the primary development mechanism.

We need more competitive versions of Quests and Behmors to help pull more novices in, to make it easy to roast. And we need more graduates of Behmors to bring $15k roaster prices down to $4500. We get that only with a bigger market. I enjoy the heck out of my Behmor. With all the workarounds and profile overlaps, and blending, I get some stuff that I just cannot buy anywhere. And all this workaround and the original inventiveness is great for learning.

So, please keep developing, but personally, I want an off the shelf auto roaster that I can plug into a 20-amp circuit, and start using after ordering it 2 days earlier through Amazon prime.