[Homeroast] Quest M3?

Hank Perkins hankperkins at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 19:48:29 CDT 2011


I regularly use a heat gun with my Quest. I roast 300g loads with the gun. 

Thanks,
Hank 

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 16, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Robert Yoder <robotyonder at hotmail.com> wrote:

> 
> How about selling plans?  Would that protect you from the sharks? Happy Roasting, robert yoder
>> Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 18:53:00 -0400
>> From: edbourgeois at gmail.com
>> To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Quest M3?
>> 
>> I agree, I had considered making a few  Dreamroasts to offer. Then I
>> talked with my Lawyer friend. You either go all the way or stay happy
>> with your own. There's no in-between that allows you to sleep well.
>> Even the old selling as kit work around is no longer a way to avoid
>> getting hauled into court. from what I was told.
>> 
>> Someone on H-B attached a heat gun to the M3 to increase batch size
>> some.  But I'm not sure the solid drum is big enough to add an element
>> and get enough extra heat transfer to increase the batch size very
>> much.
>> 
>> 
>> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM, John Nanci <john at chocolatealchemy.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, that is true.  It has a 45 rpm motor.
>>> 
>>> To answer the 'make it and they will buy it' card, all I can say is I'm busy
>>> with Chocolate Alchemy.  And I don't have the $1000's (or 10-100's thereof)
>>> to bring one to market.  Then we talk insurance - or lack thereof because it
>>> couldn't get certified.  Nope, no way would I play that round of Russian
>>> roulette.  And certification and insurance from the best I can tell is why
>>> there isn't one out there.  It's why I make my own and am happy there.
>>> 
>>> But I'll circle it around to the M3 at 1 lb - it's not certified already(and
>>> what happens if someone has a fire and yelled lawsuit? I don't really want
>>> to think about that) but should be able to be ramped up to handle 1 lb.
>>> Then again, having not seen one, I don't know if the drum could handle it.
>>> 
>>> Alchemist John
>>> 
>>> At 11:47 AM 7/16/2011, you wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> Alchemist, besides extra heating element didn't/doesn't your modified
>>>> Behmor
>>>> also have a faster drum motor which would give better bean movement hence
>>>> better convection than the anemic 6rpm stock motor?
>>>> 
>>>> IIRC your roaster is a custom job with insulated roast chamber. If you
>>>> believe it can be duplicated in an efficient, affordable 1lb 110v 15A
>>>> model,
>>>> go for it and sell it! I know, easier said than done. But highly likely IS
>>>> a
>>>> decent market for a $1-$2k 1lb 110V 15A quality roaster. Just gotta wonder
>>>> if so why there isn't one out there. Heck there are those supposed 3lb
>>>> 110V
>>>> 15A Homer roasters on eBay for $239 etc., not that I'd trust them...
>>>> 
>>>> miKe
>>>> 
>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>> From: homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>> [mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On
>>>>> Behalf Of John Nanci
>>>>> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:06 AM
>>>>> To: A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules
>>>>> for this list,available at
>>>>> http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html
>>>>> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Quest M3?
>>>>> 
>>>>> You are telling that true.
>>>>> 
>>>>> OTOH, I guess why I was wondering out loud is that my roaster is 20
>>>>> amps (heaters, motor and fan included), is at partial power (60-70%)
>>>>> when smoke suppression would be needed, and does without effort 1.5
>>>>> lbs.  1 lb at 15 amps based on that seems more than feasible,
>>>>> especially one without any safety controls (I mention that because
>>>>> many of the Behmor's limitation are ETL imposed for general consumer
>>>>> safety regs).  As it is, I had a modified Behmor on the bench that
>>>>> does just that.  Extra element when the after burners are off (at the
>>>>> beginning of the roast), and no temperature limits, and it cranks
>>>>> through 1 lb in 10-11 minutes on 15 amps.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Not looking for an argument, just musing out loud.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Alchemist John
>>>>> 
>>>>> At 10:37 AM 7/16/2011, you wrote:
>>>>>> Yup, and that technology ain't cheap. Could highly likely
>>>>> make an excellent
>>>>>> efficient 1lb 110V 15A and smokeless at that roaster, but
>>>>> what market is
>>>>>> there for a $5-$10k 1lb roaster?!
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Slave to the Bean  miKe mcKoffee
>>>>>> www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
>>>>>> URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:
>>>>>> http://www.mckoffee.com/
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path.
>>>>> To know I must
>>>>>> first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each
>>>>> Personal enlightenment
>>>>>> found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who
>>>>> have gone before.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archives
>>>>>> http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>>>> From: homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>>>> [mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On
>>>>>>> Behalf Of Edward Bourgeois
>>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 8:47 AM
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> The heating  and closed exhaust system similar to the Loring would
>>>>>>> seem like the direction to go.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM, miKe mcKoffee
>>>>>>> <mcKona at comcast.net> wrote:
>>>>>>>> I tend to agree. While a 1lb capacity 110V 15A roaster
>>>>>>> "can" be made, as
>>>>>>>> evidenced by the Behmor, just doesn't seem viable with good
>>>>>>> response or
>>>>>>>> control at an affordable price point.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Seems theoretically might be possible since a good response
>>>>>>> 1lb roaster like
>>>>>>>> the USRC .5k uses a max 5,000 BTU gas burner and 5k BTU =
>>>>>>> 1464W = 13.3A
>>>>>>>> @110V, that's just the heater. Add the drum motor, fan and
>>>>>>> any electronic
>>>>>>>> controls pushing over the 110V 15A magic number. Now if it
>>>>>>> was designed with
>>>>>>>> cutting edge methods that recycle exhaust air back to
>>>>>>> roasting likely could
>>>>>>>> be done, but back to affordability.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Slave to the Bean  miKe mcKoffee
>>>>>>>> www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
>>>>>>>> URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:
>>>>>>>> http://www.mckoffee.com/
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path.
>>>>>>> To know I must
>>>>>>>> first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each
>>>>>>> Personal enlightenment
>>>>>>>> found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who
>>>>>>> have gone before.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archives
>>>>>>>> http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>>>>>> From: homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>>>>>> [mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On
>>>>>>>>> Behalf Of Edward Bourgeois
>>>>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 6:56 AM
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> It would have to be 220v and it's a very small shop so
>>>>>>>>> unlikely from my view.
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Michael Vanecek
>>>>>>> <mike at mjv.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>> Does anyone know if Quest is going to come out with a 1lb
>>>>>>>>> or half-kilo
>>>>>>>>>> version of their little Quest M3?
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Be well,
>>>>>>>>>> Mike
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>>> Zone 8, Texas
>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>> Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
>>>>>>>>> Amherst MA.
>>>>>>>>> http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>>>>>>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>>>>>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_
>>>>>>>>> lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>>>>>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>>>>>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_
>>>>>>> lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>>>>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>>>>>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>> Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
>>>>>>> Amherst MA.
>>>>>>> http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>>>>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>>>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_
>>>>>>> lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>>>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>>>>>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>>>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast
>>>>> _lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>>>>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_
>>>>> lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>>>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>> 
>>>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>> 
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -- 
>> Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
>> Amherst MA.
>> http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) : http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>                         
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) : http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820



More information about the Homeroast mailing list